When my doctor prescribes a medication for me, what should I ask him or her?
Make sure you ask your doctor all of the following when he or she prescribes a new medication for you:
- What is this drug called, and how strong is it?
- What is it meant to treat?
- At what time of the day do I need to take it, and how do I do so?
- What are the signs that the medication is working?
- Will I need blood tests or other monitoring to ensure the medication is working properly?
- What kind of side effects come with this medication? What should I do if I experience them?
- How long will I be on this medication?
- Will this medication badly react with my other medications or any vitamins I am taking?
- Should I take this medication with food or without it? Are there any foods I should avoid?
- Approximately how much will this medication cost? Is there a lower-cost alternative?